Thursday, October 02, 2008

Mountain Hideaway


Whenever pulling into the driveway, I like to pretend I'm going home to a little cabin deep in the woods, amongst the pine trees and the home of all creatures great and small. You see, our property backs up to a creek and on the other side there is a hill covered with pine trees. It reminds me of a mountain top and so I pretend it to be so.

I imagine myself out in the garden gathering vegetables and herbs, and fresh flowers for the table that is beautifully set, lit with an oil lantern. There is a pot of vegetable soup simmering on the stove and a loaf of crusty bread ready to come out of the oven. The tea kettle whistles cheerily until I take it off the burner to pour myself a cuppa.

***

I stocked up on baking supplies today because I want to spend more of my time cooking and baking from scratch. It is healthier and easier on the budget than buying pre-packaged foods, and it is important to me to stretch my husband's income as far as I can. He works so hard to provide for our family and I should be working equally as hard here at home.

I made my own homemade cocoa mix and I will share the recipe with you.

4 cups instant non-fat dry milk powder
1.5-2 cups sugar
1 cup non-dairy creamer
2/3 cup cocoa
1 pkg. chocolate OR vanilla instant pudding mix

Add 1/3 cup of the cocoa mix to a mug, fill with boiling water.

It is so fulfilling to make your own groceries out of simple ingredients! When Alfred & I married 16 years ago, I had no idea of all the things you could make from scratch. Really! And it's only been in the last 2 years or so that I really had the courage to attempt making things myself from scratch. I can tell you that when you make your own, it is more filling than the store-bought stuff and it tastes better, too!

2 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

Really? Chocolate pudding?! That is so cool! I bet it makes the cocoa very thick.

I wish my imagination was that good. I think in a way you already really live that life Tracy, that's how I see you.

I keep imagining one day we will live in a cabin in Tofino overlooking the ocean. That's my dream. I'm kind of as far away from it as you can get right now though. One day!

patience said...

I imagine like that too. It's nice to know someone else does the same :-) Your vision is beautiful.