Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Homemade Fun

I made the girls a batch of homemade play dough. Here is the recipe:

3 cups flour, sifted
1.5 cup salt
6 teaspoons cream of tartar
3.25 cups water
3 Tbsp. oil
food coloring (gel kind)

Whisk all dry ingredients together.
Whisk in wet ingredients & stir until no lumps remain.
Cook on high for 3-4 minutes until a dough forms.
Separate into several portions (I did 4) & add food coloring; kneading until uniform in color.
Store in airtight containers.


*Warning* Wear gloves when kneading in the food coloring because it stains your skin.
(Ask me how I know?)
*grin*

*Note* Cream of Tartar can be found in the spice section at your supermarket.

3 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

Oh that looks like so much fun and what a wonderful little goof she is being! Hopefully that didn't stain her skin, LOL. I can't remember how many times I stained my skin during my cake decorating class, LOL. Good times.

Lady Laurie said...

I like the colors!
I used to make this for our kids ~ and of course the boys always wanted weird colors ~ I think it keeps better than the store bought kind. We kept ours in the fridge.

Heather said...

Tracy! This looks like so much fun!!!!