Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grocery Shopping and Savings


I was up at 5am for some ungodly reason and decided to go do my grocery shopping early this morning. Armed with my shopping list and coupons, I left the house at 6:30am and was back home in less than an hour. I spent more on groceries than usual, but I did a little stocking up, too. My best buy was for Scott toilet tissue.

I bought three 12 pk. with 1,000 sheets per roll which were originally $11.99 each ($35.97). I also bought one 4 pk. for $3.99 regular price. With my reward card, I saved $13.50. Plus I had four $2 coupons, saving me another $8. So for 40 rolls of toilet tissue, I paid only $18.46 combining coupons with sale prices instead of the regular prices of $39.96. I saved 53.5% and now am well stocked on toilet tissue for a good long time!

Today's sub-total was $243.36
minus Reward Card Savings $53.95
minus Coupons $18.00
Total OOP expense: $167.09
Total Savings: $76.27 or 31%

I want to improve even more in this area so I can make our grocery money stretch as far as possible. I have more researching/learning to do.

1 comment:

Sacred Suzie said...

I was reading this consistently saying, "So was I!" I was up at 5:30 am too, got groceries done earlier than usual (not as early as you) and spent more than usual which is why my back really hurts. From backpacking it home.

I can't believe how many ways you come up with to save money Tracy! It's so impressive.