Friday, August 08, 2008

Show & Tell Friday


This is the first time I have participated in Kelli's Show and Tell Friday, so I thought I would share a picture of me from 2nd grade that was published in the Pensacola News Journal waaay back in October 1981. (I almost wrote 1891....I'm old, but not that old people! :)

This picture is special to me because I won the Halloween best costume contest for my grade. I was dressed as a witch - a dress, a black crocheted shawl that was my grandma's, and a plastic witch hat. This was back in the day when you used what you had to dress up for Halloween. There was no running to Walmart to buy an expensive costume. But I digress....

I remember sitting in the front row of the lunchroom/auditorium watching the others grades on stage and I was talking to the boy next to me when I suddenly glanced over at the camera man who was looking directly at me. Naturally, he captured my look of surprise which was then published in the paper & aired on the news that evening.

Ah, the memories of my first brush with the paparazzi....
::giggles::

If you would like to read other Show & Tell entries, please visit Kelli's blog!

10 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

What a cute picture! How cool that you still have it. I really miss seeing all of the homemade costumes at Halloween. We usually make ours but you don't see many other kids wearing things from home. To me, putting a costume together is half the fun. And our schools won't let kids wear costumes or celebrate Halloween at all. They have "fall parties" instead but can't mention Halloween.

Barbara H. said...

What a cute picture! I loved hearing the story behind it. That gives me an idea for a future show and tell...

Cookie Sunshine said...

Congratulations little southern witch! You were absolutely adorable.

What a fun way to begin show and tell. I'm so glad you shared this with us today!

I'm originally from Mobile, but a good bit older than you. I miss coming over to Molly Mcguires and seeing all of those dollar bills hanging from the ceiling...I really miss the clear rootbeer and the kazoo songs. I also miss making the drive with my Mother to buy lotto tickets.

Welcome to Show and Tell!
It's nice to meet you Cutie Pie.

Cookie

A Hint of Home said...

Cute, cute picture. Halloween will be here before you know it. The displays are already up at the stoes.

Candy said...

Thank you SO much for the comment on my blog and encouragement. Yes, I recently heard about Living books from another friend. I have to look into that and see where I can find it in Canada or maybe I guess I may have to find it online only? Not sure but will look into it.
LOve your blog and am adding it to my bloglines right now.
Love Candy

Dianne said...

Those are the best kind of photos! You should photoshop it to preserve it even longer. : )

Carla said...

Perfect! Thats how a REAL witch is supposed to look-excited! Congrats-thats cool!

Kathy said...

What a cute picture! I loved your post!...Kathy

lusks said...

What a great memory and the picture captures that surprise. Things were so much simpler then.

Wanita said...

Welcome to Show and Tell. The picture is so cute, and I enjoyed reading the story behind it.

I remember, too, using old dress-up clothes we kept for Halloween costumes. Somehow, I think that was more fun than buying a costume.

Thanks for sharing with us.