Friday, August 08, 2008

Homeschool Subjects and Booklists


Kendall - 10th grade


*Life Skills - part time job, learning to drive, cooking/baking

*Math/Economics - Consumer Math text, personal finance, budgeting, saving, spending, measurements

*Health/Science - physical fitness, nutrition

*Music - practicing electric guitar, learning new songs

*Handwriting - copying poetry, recipes, etc.

*Reading - biographies, books/magazines in fields of interest

*Computer skills - html, photo editing, typing, research

Kayla - 6th grade

*Math - Math Made Easy

*Language - Serl's Intermediate Language Lessons

*Science - The Burgess Animal Book for Children

*Reading - Building Our Lives

*Handwriting - Copywork

*Geography - travel books from the library

*History - biographies, American Girl History Mysteries, historical fiction

*Life Skills - Baking

*Computer Skills - Typing, research, navigation

Kenzie - 3rd grade

*Math - Math Made Easy

*Language - Serl's Primary Language Lessons

*Science - The Burgess Bird Book for Children

*Reading - McGuffey's Eclectic Third Reader

*Handwriting - Copywork

*Geography - Highroads of Geography

*Health - The Child's Day

*Computer Skills - Typing

Sandcastle Mama asked if I would post my lesson plans for the year. I didn't create lesson plans as the only text books we have are math & language (for the girls). The rest are living books that I don't want to rush through. I would rather we take our time and enjoy what we are reading.

I would also like to note that this is just what we will start the year with. As we complete a book, we will move on to another suitable selection. The girls are also avid readers and we visit the library often to borrow tons of books...and we have a lot of books here at home. I want to allow them time to pursue their interests, play, draw, craft, and dream.

Kendall's "curricula" is based on life skills and his interests. He detests doing book work that has no real meaning in his life (I can so relate!). So I thought it best to give him as much real life experience as possible.

That's it in a nutshell!

3 comments:

Laura B. said...

I've been interested in homeschooling - - - Thank you for sharing what you do. You seem like you do an amazing job; your kids are fortunate!

Sandcastle Momma said...

Thank you SO much! I think this is what I needed. My son just isn't progressing very well and I want to slow down and work more on his pace and learn more about what interests him. I like the idea of starting with a book for each subject but no structured "lesson plans" I think he'll do much better if we follow something like what you're doing instead. I'm going to give this a try because the planned to the minute lesson plans from last year just didn't work. Thanks again!

Professor Homunculus said...

What a beautiful blog! I am 100% with you on not having a carved-in-stone curriculum. Especially about math. There are so many good, (non-text-) books available.

Have you tried any of the recreational math books, like those by Martin Gardner? They have launched the careers of many a young mathematician.

All the best to you in your teaching/learning endeavors!

Brian (a.k.a. Professor Homunculus at MathMojo.com )