Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Creativity and Homemaking

I spent yesterday puttering around the house. I cleared out the kids' book/craft bookcase and put the books I want us to read into a wicker basket in the living room. I added a strawberry scented candle to kitchen table, dusted, vacuumed, and tidied the living room. I doodled and sketched. I made a loaf banana bread. I browsed through my copy of Fall, Family & Friends cookbook by Gooseberry Patch for new recipes to jazz up our meal menus.

It was a good day.

And then I realized....

Homemaking can be a form of creativity!

It's all in how you look at it. Instead of looking at homemaking as a drudgery or a block to being creative, I want to go the second mile to bring beauty and decorative details to our home life.

Trying new recipes. Garnishing a dinner plate filled with a scrumptious home-cooked dinner. Setting the table for dinner. Eating by candlelight with soft music playing. Planning holiday celebrations. Maintaining flower and vegetable gardens. Decorating the front porch/door for holidays.

All of this and more is using your creativity to bring more beauty and joy into your home and the hearts of your family!

4 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

It sounds like you're really making your home a warm and inviting place. I like the idea of turning the drudgery into something creative. How lucky your family is to have you create such a special place for them. Truly, there's no place like home!

Sacred Suzie said...

You are absolutely right a genius! Of course it's creative. Making a home beautiful is as creative as you can be and you know I believe in being creative in the kitchen. I love how you describe taking care of your home. Your writing about it is even better than Martha's!

Lady Laurie said...

Yep, your creativity can show through in so many ways when it comes to homemaking.
Love this post!

Me said...

It is one of the most essential forms of creativity - and often one of the most rewarding.