Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Outside Work


I spent the early morning hours working in the yard before the heat of the day came upon me. There is always something to be done on our little homestead. When we first moved here the land had been abandoned for at least 2 years and it was an overgrown tangled mess of weeds knee high and blackberry briars.

We have made great progress in the year we have been here. With regular cuttings, the grass has taken over & smothered the blackberry briars for the most part. There are flowers planted along the fence and large pots of bright petunias gracing each side of the steps leading to the front door.

Daily we have feathered friends visit the bird bath and feeder. I like to think of our homestead as a sanctuary for wildlife. For this former city girl, I still am awestruck by the sight of all the creatures great and small in the country that are not typically seen in town!

I feel so blessed to have this little spot of land to call my own. I love the quiet, country life and the simplicity of it all. Sure, it can be hard work, but there is nothing better than working out in the fresh air and sunshine, listening to nature all around you. The wind whispering in the pines with a chorus of birds, frogs, and crickets in the background.

It's heaven on Earth!

4 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

I'm so happy for you that you enjoy where you live so much, the life you have. A simple hard working life isn't the norm anymore, is it? I think there is much wisdom in slowing down, working with your hands and listening to the birds.

Lady Laurie said...

It sounds like you all have such a wonderful piece of land. I love watching the birds (although the bossy blue jay is not my favorite). I especially love the tiny little birds.

Sandcastle Momma said...

Your land sounds like a slice of heaven. It's so pretty over there and I always feel so peaceful when we're over in that area. I love the sound the wind makes in those tall pines.

Mrs. Staggs said...

I love being out in my garden and around nature too. I can't really imagine my life without it, so I know how happy it makes you feel.

Best wishes to the birthday girl!