Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Fun on a Budget


I have been looking for activities for the kids to be involved in and discovered a few different things in our area.

Lowe's Build & Grow clinics are free

Barnes & Noble has story time on Wednesdays at 11am & Saturdays at 1pm

Michael's has craft projects for kids ages 5-12 for $5 each

Other summer fun ideas:

Make root beer floats

Visit different parks in the area

Pack a picnic lunch

Visit the library for movies, books, and CDs

Sonic drive-in Happy Hour weekdays from 2-4pm - select drinks are half price
Tuesdays at Sonic from 5-8pm - single patty hamburgers are half price
*check with your local Sonic for details*

Try a new recipe each week

Visit thrift stores for inexpensive books, puzzles, games, etc.

Play in the water hose/sprinkler

Make popsicles

Make homemade play dough

Art - paint, color, draw, make collages, etc.

Weekly family movie night with homemade fun snack foods

Go for walks - bike trail, pier, beach

Create a nature table for the treasures we discover on walks

Draw in our nature journals

Make lemonade

Visit the farmer's market for fresh produce locally grown

Star-gazing

Create fairy houses

These are just a few ideas I came up with. Feel free to share in the comments your summer fun ideas!

2 comments:

Lady Laurie said...

Hi Tracy ~
Homemade summer fun is the best!! My kids have lots of fond memories of the sprinkler, homemade popcicles! I used to make them this gloppy stuff from cornstarch and food coloring (kinda like a playdough) ~ they loved that!
We like to make ice cream now and I am always going to the library.
My hubby used to take our boys to Lowes on Saturdays too ~ one year they made the neatest birdhouses!

Hope all is well with you ~ don't wear yourself out with all that painting!
Hugs))

Sacred Suzie said...

All fantastic ideas! My favorite is the fairy house, oh I love it. I wonder if I could do a pendant of a fairy house or something? You got my mind spinning!

I have gotten such amazing DVDs through the library, I can hardly believe it. Makes up for the summer TV doldrums for sure. I can't wait to hear the stuff you end up trying!