Friday, May 16, 2008

Rainy Days

It has been gray and dreary here. We've had thunderstorms and rain for the past few days. Thankfully the skies will be clear for the weekend and the sunshine will return.

Late yesterday afternoon we were able to see a baby downy woodpecker peeking out of its home! We used binoculars to get an even better view. He was soooo cute....and loud too. We could hear him chattering away all day in the tree.

Night fall came and as we sat outside we watched lightning bugs (or fireflies) light up. Their flickerings glowed against the backdrop of darkened trees and sky. They were beautiful!

"Before, beside us, and above - The firefly lights his lamp of love."
~ Bishop Reginald Heber

3 comments:

Sandcastle Momma said...

You have fireflies? That is so cool! We were camping not long ago and our kids got to see some. I realized they'd never seen them before and that really made me sad. They were everywhere when I was a kid and I was so glad that my kids got to see them. They're magical little creatures and always bring a smile to my face.

Tracy said...

I never saw fireflies as a kid. I have only seen them once before & that was 14-15 years ago! I was just as excited as the kids. :)

Sacred Suzie said...

We've had similar weather and it's finally improving but then getting worse during the weekend.

A baby woodpecker? What could be sweeter than that?!