Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Being Prepared


With both fuel and food costs rising, I have taken to seriously stocking up my pantry as much as I can week by week. I stock up when items are on sale - baking supplies, tea and coffee, condiments, canned fruits and veggies, rice and instant potatoes, and paper goods.

We have also taken to stopping by the thrift stores more regularly. I look for good books, glass containers for food storage and other housewares, clothes for myself and the girls, and toys/games/puzzles.

I try to keep my car filled up - firstly by not driving any more than I have to. I also fill up once a week even though I still have three-fourth of a tank left. It costs less to fill up one-fourth tank than the whole thing all at once. I do have to drive my son to and from work so I'm out more than I'd like, but I take care of any in-town errands that need to be done and make it count. Gas prices here are now over $3.72/gallon.....ridiculous!

I am also trying to grow more of my own food. Right now I just have tomato and strawberry plants. I planted 6 tomato plants and they are coming along nicely. We picked up 13 more that were on the side of the road with a Free sign next to them. The strawberry plants are looking so good though. I'd like to eventually plant bell peppers, onions, potatoes, pumkins and all sorts of other things.

What kinds of things are you doing to prepare for a possible recession?

3 comments:

Lady Laurie said...

Looks like you are off to a good start. We have a garden too, with just a few veggies, just the things I know we'll eat!
I don't drive much and when I do I try to combine errands into one day.
I am trying to be content with what I have, this one is hard for me, I always see such pretties out there, especially etsy!!

Heather said...

Rising food costs are worrisome. There isn't too much I can do as I don't really have any storage.

Rhonda in OK said...

I am doing almost the same things as you.
I work part time and I do all my errands when I leave work and don't make special trips back to town.
I started my first garden ever - peppers, tomatoes, cukes and assorted squash.
Keeping my pantry stocked as much as possible.
Preparing some meals with no meat and other meals with smaller amounts of meat

My town has 6 thrift stores and I used to go them all every week, but have really cut back on my recreational shopping there. I was mostly buying non-essentials and I don't want to spend the gas or money there right now.
I go when I need something but I don't just shop for fun anymore.

The high oil prices and they way they are affecting most all other prices is just scary.