Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Am I Rich?


A lot of people assume we are rich because I do not have to work outside the home. My husband works hard to provide for our family and I manage our finances as best I can while keeping the home fires burning. How am I able to do this?

I clip coupons and search for sales to stockpile food and non-perishables. I am moving more towards simple, natural foods and away from processed junk. I cook and bake more from scratch and continually seek to improve my cooking skills. I am growing tomato plants this year and hope to increase my garden each year as I learn more. I buy farm fresh eggs for $1.50 per dozen from a lady up the road.

I shop at thrift shops and dollar stores for clothes, housewares, puzzles, games, books, accessories, and gifts. I use free local resources - library, bike trails, parks, community events. I never turn down any free plants or flowers. I learn how to do things myself rather than pay others to do them for me.

I stay home as much as I can. I spend a lot of time outdoors puttering around the garden, weeding flower beds, and observing nature. I read, write, cross-stitch, draw, surf the web for needed info, go for walks, work on home improvements and more in my free time.

So am I rich?

Yes!

Not necessarily in material goods, but in the things that matter most.

I laugh more. I have time to ponder and dream. I pray and count my blessings. I work hard and make time for rest. I love much. I am happier than I've ever been.

Life is good!

7 comments:

Sacred Suzie said...

That is so interesting. People think we're poor because I am not working and well, they'd be kind of right. But poor and rich are relative terms aren't they? I have a rich internal life that most people will never experience. I think you do an AMAZING job taking care of your family and home with such care and fiscal responsibility. You inspire me every time I come here. When I am cleaning my home, trying to bond with this new space I often think of you and how deeply you care for your home. I want that one day too.

Lady Laurie said...

I have dealt with comments over the years from people that think "it must be nice to stay home all day and bake cookies" (I actually had a woman say that to me). Some people base their success and contenment in life with how much money they make and what they can buy.
My kids were never in any "organized $$ sports, or any other of the half a dozen things kids seemed to "have" to be involved in these days, but they have had a rich and happy childhood.
Most of our marriage (23 years) we've lived on a single income and we have had some tough times but we always pull through. Now that the kids are older its great being able to do things with my husband at the drop of the hat which I would never be able to do if I was working outside the home.

I am very grateful for this network of SAHM's I have found through blogging, I used to think I was the only Homemaker around!!

Paula said...

Dear Tracy,
What an encouraging post! I think one of the many blessings of being a keeper at home is wisely using the money that our husband's work so hard to provide us with. I am so content and blessed to be at home. My husband can hardly wait to come home from work each day. Our son loves being educated at home. We have one vehicle that my husband takes to work during the week, then twice a month we all go to town to run our errands, then we can hardly wait to return home!

I love to spend time in my garden, sew, embroider, read and so many other things, simple things that make life a joy instead of a burden. It is wonderful to do things yourself rather than pay someone. Cooking and baking from scratch are not only so healthy, but it saves money that would be spent on packaged junk. Growing our on food is very rewarding, using homemade natural cleaners instead of buying toxic ones, and countless other things we do as keepers of our homes!

You are right, we are rich in what matters most! We have more time to enjoy all that the Lord has blessed us with, instead of filling our lives with constant and useless activity.

I am enjoying your lovely blog. I agree with Lady Laurie, I am grateful for this network of homemakers that I have found through blogging. I do not feel so alone anymore! I always felt like I was the only homemaker around too!

Blessings,
Paula

Sandcastle Momma said...

I love the way you look at this! I help my husband run his business but haven't worked outside of our home since our kids were born. Sometimes I think about the things we've given up for me to be home (better house, nice vacations, bigger savings account)but that doesn't last long. We have what we need and our family is closer and our children are happier because I'm here. I know there are a lot of women who don't have a choice and must work and that fact makes me feel even more blessed. Someone told me once that rich is a state of mind - not a bank account balance and I really agree! My bank account says "not rich" most days but my heart says "really rich" all of the time.

Renee said...

Tracy;

Come for tea! We have much in common and could chat the afternoon away. :-) Life really is good, and can be just as simple as we allow it to be. We are rich aren't we?

Heather said...

My mom stayed home with us and it was a sacrifice but it was well worth it. You'll never regret this choice your family has made. I hope one day to be able to do the same.

joan said...

Hi Tracy,

What a great post! You are indeed living a full and rich life!