Monday, April 28, 2008

History


The day started out cool and dreary. We had the occasional sprinkle of rain and gray skies all morning. It was enough to make you want to crawl back into bed and sleep the day away. I couldn't do that, so we went to the library instead. (grin)

The girls and I started reading The First Book of America by Edith Heal from 1952. I am by no means a history buff. It was one of my least favorite subjects in school. I vaguely remember learning about Ponce de Leon searching for the Fountain of Youth in 4th grade for Florida History, but that was a long time ago...

Kayla has read several American Girl History Mystery books. Kaya is her favorite character. I would like to find more living books on history - either biographies or historical fiction. No dry, boring textbooks - please! If I don't like it, it won't get read...

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Sandcastle Momma said...

I'm a huge history fan. Give me a day or two to look through some of my notes and I'll send you a list of good books to read. My family is from AL so I have several good books on AL history as well as the US. Have you ever looked into genealogy? Researching your family history is a good way to find interesting historical facts about the area your ancestors settled in. I've found the best way to get my kids into history was to start with our area. Wander through the museums in your area and frankly cemeteries can be fascinating places as well (names and dates can start kids wondering how these people lived and died). Your library should have books on the history of your area so I would start there.