Friday, February 01, 2008

A New Day, A New Month


I love to watch the lightning in a thunderstorm - especially when it lights up the night's sky. We saw an armadillo out in the back yard last night during the storm as he ran for the wood line for cover. It was interesting to note how the birds all flew east to get away from the storm as it headed our way. Nature is fascinating to me, now that I have learned to slow down a bit.

I tracked our spending all of January and it was eye-opening to say the least. We did really good on the grocery budget - spending less than $400 for a family of 5. But there were many other areas where money was frittered away. So it is my goal for February to stop the leaks in order to build our savings and to apply extra towards debt-repayment.

Today, I am going to do the grocery shopping. I already have my list made out and my menu planned for the week. I plan to do more baking of bread and snacks for my family to nibble on to further reduce expenses. It is a learning process as we seek to trim away the excess from our lives and simplify.

And so I leave you today with this quote from The Talmud:

"Who is rich? He who rejoices in his portion."

No comments: