Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Little Foxes


Last night we had a family meeting to re-establish rules and guidelines for our family and home life. Lately, I have frequently noticed how when I ask the kids to do something it is either met with groans or "I'll do it in a minute" and it never gets done. It's the little foxes (attitudes and things left unchecked) that spoil the vines.

It's not just the kids. I have things I need to work on, too. I've always been a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of gal, but there is no flow to our days. I now have a skeleton routine in place and will tweak as necessary in the weeks ahead.

In addition, a portion of each day will be devoted to clearing out the clutter. I simply have too much stuff for our little home and it is smothering. It makes cleaning more difficult. And I can't count the number of times Alfred has asked where something is and I have panicked because I have no clue where I could've placed it!

The stress, clutter, and disorganization is being replaced by joy, order, and routine. Simplicity brings freedom.

4 comments:

Lady Laurie said...

Ah yes, the family meetings. In general, our kids hate those, unless they know its about something fun like an upcoming vacation! I have repeated countless times that we all have to do things in life that we don't want to do or like to do, that's life. My kids have gotten better, but now they are 20, 18 and 16 and are pretty responsible.
I have been decluttering too, I have discovered I am enjoying a less frilly look in our home and I am trying to keep things simple.
You know, I stress when my hubby is looking for something, especially when he starts off with "I know I gave it to you..."

Donna said...

That is SO true! You've reminded me what I need to be doing this weekend! Love to you Sweetie!

bella said...

my husband and I have recently taken to having such family meetings. and they really do help. i find that when there is time aside for this "business" then it doesn't have to enter into the romance and fun.
and here's to cleaning out the clutter.
may clarity and peace come in the space made.

miss*R said...

you know, you sound like a younger version of me..