Friday, February 08, 2008

Country Girl at Heart


As we were driving home yesterday after running errands, I saw the cutest sight. We passed a small "farm" which has chickens, a few goats, one horse, and cattle. A man was standing in the pasture with a five gallon feed bucket shaking it and calling for the cows. The cows were at the far end of the pasture, but hearing the feed bucket their ears perked up and then they started running to the man!

I had never seen a cow run before, and they looked so sweet. Alfred and I used to walk over to the cattle auction on Sunday evenings years ago when we lived in town. We liked to look at all the farm animals and pet the horses.

As a child, one of my favorite books was Charlotte's Web by E. B. White. I loved the descriptions of farm life and the illustrations of Fern, Wilbur, and of course, Charlotte. I also love reading all of the Little House on the Prairie books for the same reasons.

I would love to have a small hobby farm if I had the means and land available. I am a country girl at heart.

7 comments:

Lady Laurie said...

I loved Charlotte's Web, I remember seeing it in the movie theater (the original cartoon one)when I was a little girl. I also loved The Secret Garden!!

bella said...

I have never seen a cow run before. What a sight. They are usually so docile as they roam and putter about.
I'm a big city girl at heart, but the country has been known to call my name.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I have just found your blog~ I am another Alabama girl!
Stop by for a visit and a glass of sweet tea.

marybeth said...

Just found my way to your blog...howdy! I have seen a cow run, and towards me! I was down on my brother's farm, and the cows must have thought we were going to feed them, lol.

Amy said...

yep I've seen cows run. My parents live in a house on 7 acres and they had 5 cows - they got quite tame and use to come to the fence for a pat :-)

Donna said...

We use to live on a 100 acre farm and would fill buckets with feed, and then Rattle the buckets to get the cattle from one pasture to another. They would run to us! So much fun. Thanks for this little walk down memory lane sweetie!hughugs

Mrs. Staggs said...

I loved Charlotte's Web too, but I have to admit to being devastated by Charlotte's passing when I was a girl. I thought I could handle it better, knowing what would happen, when I read the book to my son as a child, but no, I was really sad....again!