Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Cooking and Gardening

It is quite chilly this morning, but the sun is shining brightly in the clear blue sky. Yesterday just before the sun set, I saw hundreds of robins flying through the air and landing high up in the trees. I have never seen so many at one time before. It was pretty amazing.

Alfred took my car to work with him today so he can wash and detail it for me. Isn't he a sweetie? I've been meaning to do it, but either the weather isn't right or I'm too tired after I get done with all of the indoor work.

My children go to their youth groups tonight so I'll prepare a simple meal - breakfast for dinner. I made a pork loin last night and it turned out so much better than when I made it the first time. I looked online to find out how to cook it and found an online blog called StartCooking.com that has directions and videos on how to cook all sorts of things. It was a great help!

I used to be buy a lot of processed foods and we ate out often in the early years of our marriage because I did not know how to cook and was too scared to try to cook from scratch. The Hillbilly Housewife recipes really helped to boost my cooking skills and confidence. Now most of our meals and desserts are made from scratch and I am constantly learning new things.
I bought a package of 5 caladium bulbs yesterday for $1.69 at the dollar store yesterday. I can't wait to plant these in the yard. Growing up we had elephant ears in the yard, but I like the color of the caladiums. Aren't they pretty? I also bought seed packets for pumpkins, carrots, green beans, green onions, and lettuce for 20 cents each! I want to get a couple of tomato plants, too.

Well I better get started on my day. Be blessed!

1 comment:

Lady Laurie said...

I wonder if the robins are wondering whats up with this crazy weather??
We used to have elephant ears, they are so pretty, I love these green with pink.
My cooking skills have improved over the years (somewhat), although I really would rather bake cookies and cakes. My kids actually prefer homemade cake with homemade icing over the mixes.
I hope you have great success with your garden. The first couple of years we were here we planted all kinds of things, and had zucchini coming our our ears. Only minimal luck with tomatoes, they don't seem to like the hot muggy days. I might try to plant some cherry tomatoes in containers maybe I'll have better luck.