Friday, January 25, 2008

Waiting and the Fullness of Nothing


We had a wonderful night out. It was freezing, of course. And despite my wearing Alfred's under-armor, I was still cold! I am just not a cold weather gal. My body aches terribly when it's cold out. I suspect it is from my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Thankfully, this next week will be warmer with temperatures in the 50s and 60s during the day.

With such moderate weather, I plan to start scraping ceilings in the living room and kitchen - which is one big open room. So today I will start packing up my pictures and accessories. I will be experiencing the "fullness of nothing" until our project is complete.

Sarah Ban Breathnach writes: "It's difficult for many of us to accept emptiness--in life or in a living room-- can have a positive influence. I think we need to learn how to tolerate more empty spaces. We need to either become more comfortable with waiting to fill what's empty with what's authentic or become willing to accept the exquisite fullness of nothing. Life's landscape becomes a lot more interesting when we realize there's an entire dimension we've never considered before simply because we couldn't see it."

There is a lesson to be learned in this for me. Waiting is not my strong suit, but wait I must as I trim away the excess of my life in favor of simplicity. I will wait for what is perfect, authentic, and, oh, so ME.

1 comment:

Donna said...

There are SO many deminsions to our lives...she's SO right!! We just can't physically See them...but they're there! Have a "Warm" weekend sweetie!