Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Taste of Spring

The forecast for today is Spring-like weather with a high of 70 degrees. The days are slowly growing longer. January is almost over. It won't be long until Spring arrives in full bloom in our neck of the woods! As a confirmation, I just spotted two robins in the back yard.

I watched as a rabbit cautiously crept from the shadows of the wood line. Then he scurried back into the woods out of sight. The red-winged blackbirds are full of song and bravado - showing off for the ladies no doubt!

We have a fallen cedar tree along the edge of the creek. Kendall and Alfred want to burn it to clear out the brush, but I won't allow it. That tree provides shelter for the wildlife and I can't bring myself to destroy it. So we leave it be.

"My spirits were elevated by the enchanting appearance of nature; the past was blotted from my memory, the present was tranquil, and the future gilded by bright rays of hope and anticipations of joy."
~ from Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

5 comments:

bella said...

i feel it here today.
not quite as warm, but high forties, which is crazy warm for January here.
and in the thaw, even though I know there will be more snow and ice and cold, I feel spring is coming.
and it gives me hope.

Donna said...

I love Mary Shelley...The book was really good...Have a wonderful day girl!

homespun living said...

Oh, I am eagerly awaiting those robins!

Deb

joan said...

I think we made it to 50 here but 70 sounds better. LOL I know I am so ready for Spring. Hey it's staying lighter outside later so I know it's coming.

Lady Laurie said...

The weather can't make up its mind to be warm or cold! I am longing for Spring and the end to dreary Old Man Winter.