Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Learning to Slow Down


After eating and a nice long shower, I spent a little extra time on my hair and makeup. I talked to my sister by phone and went to the post office. In the mail, I had the latest issue of Country Living, Kendall's birthday gift (a DVD player), and a box of candles I had ordered from The Yankee Candle Company.

Upon returning home, I set to work in the kitchen. I resisted frantically hurrying through my tasks and focused on one thing at a time. I took regular breaks to drink water, grab a bite to eat, and to watch Days of Our Lives (the only soap opera I watch).

So what did I accomplish today?
* Scrubbed the counter tops, stove, and dish drainer
* Cleaned out the fridge and freezer inside and out
* Organized my cookbooks
* Washed all of the dirty dishes
* Set fruit out in a pretty glass bowl
* Cleaned the kitchen window and decorative items
* Cleared the kitchen table after a good scrubbing

Tomorrow I'll do more work in the kitchen in the same manner - cleaning out the cabinets (that's where the real mess lies) and reorganizing. I'll finish up the room with a good sweeping and mopping of the floors.

I am learning to slow down and to be mindful of the work I am doing out of love for myself and my family. It doesn't have to be done all in one day. It doesn't have to be perfect. I don't have to be perfect.

I am learning to just be.

3 comments:

joan said...

I think you got alot accomplished! More than I do in a day. Some days I consider making the bed an accomplishment. And your right it's too much pressure trying to do it all. Have a good evening.

miss*R said...

it is so difficult for some us to just meander through our day, without rushing.. but when we do really live in the moment, the exact moment of wherever we are, we connect to our inner self. Hope you are finding it easier.. call on Hestia, the Goddess of the Hearth to help
( I will post something about her tomorrow on the Goddess blog, which I have re-vamped by the way)

Donna said...

I would say you really made up for yesterday!!! LOL Have a peaceful night!!!