Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Is Green My Color?


I have never considred myself a "tree-hugger", but perhaps I am? I can remember protesting with a couple of girlfriends in the fifth grade over a large old oak tree that was going to be cut down in order to build a gymnasium at the elementary school we attended. It just seemed wrong somehow that the tree could not be saved - all in the name of progress.
***
Now green living is becoming more mainstream. We watched the Live Earth show on 07-07-07 and that sparked something in me. It made me and my family more conscious of the ways we were wasting our precious Earth's resources - but it also gave us ideas for simple things we could do to make a difference in our little corner of the world.
***
Now I am by no means an authority on this subject, but we have begun to walk a little more lightly on this planet. We keep things unplugged when they are not in use. We turn the lights off when we leave rooms. We've replaced regular lightbulbs with the compact flourescent bulbs.
***
While one of our neighbors advised we should cut down ALL of our trees, I made my stance known that we'd keep them all (that's one of the reasons we moved to the country!). We were also advised to clear the wooded area along our property - ummm, no thanks! There are woodland animals that live there and I don't want to demolish their home. They need a place to live, too!
***
Are we doing all we can? No, but we are getting there in babysteps. You have to start where you are, but every little bit helps! This is definately an area that I want to learn more about and make a part of my daily life. For those interested, here is a link to Green Living 101.
***
Who says it's not easy being green?

1 comment:

Sacred Suzie said...

Excellent post! And I can't believe they expected you to chop down the trees in the country, what the heck? I would get into a fist fight before I'd let that happen, LOL.

I am so grateful that people are going more green again, it was hip in the 80s and 90s and then disappeared which I found shocking. I'm happy to hear all that you're doing for the environment, and to know I'm not the only TV watcher, LOL. ;)