Wednesday, October 24, 2007

There's a Chill in the Air...

The morning air was quite chilly this morning. The high today will only be 57 degrees! Autumn has finally arrived, I do believe. I went for my morning walk bundled up. Anything below 70 degrees and I'm freezing. It would be a good day to do some baking. I think I'll bake peanut butter cookies. It's been a while since we've had those.
***
Have you noticed the Christmas decorations are already coming out? Yes, it is that time of year again. We only have 61 days until Christmas! I recently bought my first Advent calendar. It's a snow scene with Santa surrounded by forest animals. I thought that was fitting since we live out in the "country" now.
***
I need to pull out my Christmas notebook to see what gifts I have left to buy, think of stocking stuffers for the kids, plan my Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner menus, and stock up on baking goods. Of course, we can't forget hot cocoa and marshmallows! ~ Yummy ~
***
At the library, I picked up Madeline L'Engle's The Twenty-four Days Before Christmas to add to my collection of Christmas books. I've never read it, but it has cute illustrations. Alfred will take a week of vacation the week before Christmas so I want to have some fun family activities planned. Simple things like baking, watching Christmas movies, riding around town to see the decorated houses...things of that sort.
***
It is the simple things I treasure most from my own childhood. Mama always made things fun and festive...but mostly she spent time with us. We helped her decorate the Christmas tree. We watched all the Christmas cartoons and movies with her. I was always amazed at her ingenious craft projects. She could turn scraps of this and that into something fabulous! And she still does!
***
I try to do the same with my own children, though I don't think I do quite as good a job as Mama did. I hope my children will one day look back and have happy childhood memories of their own.

3 comments:

Lady Laurie said...

Isn't it chilly?? At least for us girls in the south ~ eh?
I really don't want to look at Christmas decorations yet ~ I go through this every year! I wish the retailers wouldn't start the Christmas push until after Thanksgiving. In my dreams I guess!

joan said...

It's chilly here in Cincy too after being so pretty for a long time. You sound like you love tradition. I already have a Christmas banner picked out for my blog!

Flossy said...

Hi Tracy, thanks for visiting me :)

I can't believe it's so close to Christmas - this year has gone by so quickly!