Friday, September 07, 2007

Practicing Frugality


Yesterday was our weekly grocery shopping trip. I spent $107.43 after saving $5.20 with coupons. The total includes our pet foods, toiletries, and any household items we may need. We usually spend $125-150 per week for a family of five (plus 3 cats and a dog) - so that is an improvement.

In my quest to be more frugal I did a few things differently this week. I did not buy any cereal. Breakfasts will be toast, pancakes, eggs, and orange juice. I did not buy any pre-packaged snacks either. I can make cakes, brownies, or cookies myself from scratch. I know I can still make alot of improvement in this area, so I will continue to work on it.

Today I'm going to tackle the dungeon of doom (a.k.a. my closet), sort through the girls' clothes, and tidy up the main living areas. Alfred has drill this weekend and won't be home Saturday night. So I'll just hang out here at home doing my cross-stitch or crochet. Maybe I'll bake him a special dessert?

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Lady Laurie said...

We are always struggling to lower our food budget. Three teens (2 of which are bottom~less pits boys) it is a challengs.
I try not to buy much prepackaged food either ~ that can really suck your budget dry. Besides, homemade always taste better!
Hope you have a great weekend!