Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Making Home a Haven with Domestic Pursuits - part 2

Decorating is fun, but it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Once you have an idea of how you want your home to look and feel, you can begin to make changes. The biggest change you can make for very little cost is to paint the walls. I personally like the look of crisp white walls with perhaps one wall painted in an accent color such as a pale pink, sage green, or robin egg blue.
***
For inexpensive art, use beautiful cards and pictures from magazines hung in interesting frames. If you are an artist, you can use your own artwork (drawings, paintings, or collages) for a personal touch. Cross-stitch pictures are also very nice. I like to buy inexpensive frames and paint them to match my decor using craft paints. Spray paints would work, too.
***
If you like to sew, you can make your own tablecloths, curtains, and quilts. Embellish them with embroidery, if they are plain. You can also crochet doilies, afghans, rag rugs, table-scarves, or add crocheted edging to towels. The possibilities are endless! You can find tutorials online or go to the library to find books to learn new skills that will help add beauty to your home.

You can find charming accessories at affordable prices by keeping your eyes open. Check out eclectic shops, dollar stores, thrift stores, and yard sales. Check the clearance aisles. Be creative. Try using something you already have in a new way. Watch decorating shows to glean new ideas and get how-to tips.

Interesting Links to Frugal Decorating:

Dollar Store Style

Dollar Store Decorating

Frugal Home Decor - Paint Tips

Autumn Crafts & Frugal Decor

More to come...

3 comments:

SeasideQuilts said...

Nice post. I love that first picture of the living room/kitchen combo! It's very crisp and clean.

simon said...

Hi there -- sorry I'm posting this right here (couldn't find your e-mail address).

I have been deeply inspired by your blog and now have started to write my own. I would be happy to have a few regular readers and therefore ask you if we could do a "link exchange"?

Please let me know whether you are interested. I live in Switzerland and am excited to find out if I can join the English speaking bloggers' community.

Best,

Simon

my blog is http://nastypredator.blogspot.com (not as scary as it sounds!)

miss*R said...

Hi Tracy, I am off with Joe for the weekend - on the bike! See you when I come home and have a wonderful, wonderful birthday xoxo