Friday, May 18, 2007

A Year By the Sea


I finally finished A Year by the Sea: Thoughts of an Unfinished Woman by Joan Anderson. I was bored with it at first and I set it down for a few weeks. Determined to finish it, I picked it back up and finished it. It turned out to be a good book. So I thought I'd share a few quotes from the book:
***
"Does having it all make you happier or sadder? Does it make you free?" p. 60
***
"To live is to change, and to strive toward a more perfect life is to have changed often." p. 66
***
"Living with nature has taught me the dignity of being without motive. Occupying this tiny cottage with no clutter, only barren essentials, has served to help me find more in less." p. 71
***
"You've got to be your own person. In any case, it's pretty deadly not to be! Honey it takes action to create change. Everything we talk about isn't worth a dime if we don't actualize it." p. 116
***
"The very act of seeking sets things in motion...." p. 136
***
"Clamming has taught me that all will be mine in it's time and season. Forcing things works against instinct and the elements." p. 142
***
"It occurs to me that nothing ever really comes to an end. Being by the sea has taught me that." p. 154
***
"I'm thinking, as I sit here and drink in this scene, how little it takes to get by, how simple life really can be, how pleasant to think only of necessities, eliminating the luxuries." p. 167
***
"The way to keep your senses alive is to use them." p. 180
***
"I do not ever want the passion of my new ways to cool. The nourishment I feel can only be maintained if I stay close to the elements - fire, air, water, earth. If I surround myself with them, I shall always feel the stirrings of my soul." p. 181
***
It seems to me that the task of the unfinished woman is to acknowledge her life as a work in progress, allowing each passage, evolution, experience to offer wisdom for her soul." p. 182
***
"I must live a little each day, greet the sun as it rises and revel in its setting, swim naked, sip coffee, talk to animals, meditate, laugh, risk adventures. I must try to be soft, not hard; fluid, not rigid; tender, not cold; find rather than seek. I have been embraced by the sea, tested by its elements, emptied of anxiety, cleansed with fresh thought. In the process, I have recovered myself." p. 184-185

1 comment:

smilnsigh said...

Thank you for this entry. I've never heard of this book. I'm intrigued, so I put a request in to my library system.

I love finding ideas for reading, in blog land.

Mari-Nanci