Friday, May 25, 2007

To-Dos, Animals, and Gardens


I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries,
and very frankly give them fruit for their songs.
~ Joseph Addison
I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped to do yesterday. Alfred ended up coming home from work as he was too sick to stay. He was finally able to eat a little something and keep it down last night. But I did manage to finally detail & wash my car...now it's all sparkly & clean.
***
Today the septic company is going out to our property to pump the septic tank, so I'll have to meet them out there. I need to pick up the yard, tidy up the house, laundry (that is a never ending task), run a few errands in town, and whateve else needs to be done.
***
Wednesday while we were working on clearing our property, I saw several animals... a baby oppossum, a wood duck, a brown rabbit, discovered mockingbirds had built a nest in one of the cedar trees in the yard, and also mallard ducks.
***
I get so excited at spotting wild animals and Alfred laughs at me. I grew up in the "city" and you don't see a variety of wild animals (other than birds and squirrels generally), whereas Alfred is a country boy and is used to seeing such things. And it is so quiet out there! While we took a break, we just sat quietly and listened to the birds sing and enjoyed the peacefulness.
***
I can't wait to move out there! Along the right side of the driveway and in between the neighbor's fence there is a perfect spot to plant flowers. I want bright, beautiful flowers all along the drive. The ground is soft and the soil is rich. Perhaps next year we can even do a small veggie patch?
***
Well time is ticking and I need to get busy here. I hope everyone has a happy and safe Memorial Day weekend!

3 comments:

Gayla said...

Hi... just wanted to comment on your lovely post. Gardens are something that remind me so much of my dear grammas. Your site is lovely, and your posts so inspiring. Have such a memorable Memorial weekend you will cherish it forever!

Lady Laurie said...

I always find moving to be so exhausting, and yes expensive too! I know you will be so happy when you are finally settled in ~
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Mindy said...

Have a lovely and restful Memorial Day weekend! Hope this finds you well and enjoying your Spring days!!
Blessings to you and yours..