Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My Day, Books, and Nature



Alfred and I planned to go walking this morning, but Kendall was on the couch because he was sick during the night. But I can still do some cardio here at home...either DDR, or use one of the videos I borrowed from the library (line dancing and low-impact aerobics). And I will do a little strength training with my hand weights.

The girls and I went to the library yesterday. Kayla chose a couple of the American Girl books above her usual animal books. Shocking! Kenzie chose four storybooks. I had two books come in through the inter-library loan system: Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurchinka and Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul by John Eldredge. I saw these books recommended on The Joy Box blog.

I have started reading Raising Your Spirited Child and within the first few pages it was describing my Kenzie! Kenzie is very passionate, full of energy, hilariously funny, and super smart. She also has a fiery temper and can go from sweet to venomous in a snap. I have to cut the tags out of most clothes because they make her itch. She can be highly emotional, stubborn, and strong-willed.

I have often felt like a failure as a mother because I haven't known what to do with her and I've tried everything I can think of. So I am looking forward to reading this book so that I can better understand my Kenzie girl and help her be the best she can be.

After the library we went to the park and spent nearly 2 hours there. My sister & nephew met us there. Us girls talked as we watched the kids play. The sun was shining and it was warm, but not too terribly hot. I came away feeling refreshed. I love just sitting out in nature listening to the birds and taking in the beauty. I need to do this more often!

Today I plan to do more packing and I want to get the yard cleaned up and see what we plan to keep and what needs to be thrown out for our move. I'll need to run up to the market to get soup, Sprite, and orange juice for Kendall.

Wishing you a great day!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Tracy, Thanks for visiting me! I will recommend the Spirited Child book to my daughter and will read it too. Your Little girl sounds like my grandson! What is so strange is that he has dramatically calmed down since the baby was born a month ago. But he still has moments. Have a lovely day, ah... the park sounded divine. Yesterday as I worked in my yard I felt fortunate to hear those birdy sounds. It seems since I planted alot of pines years back they just flock, my car at times doesn't appreciate it however!

Ann said...

Tracy - My youngest, Lori, is my strong willed child. She has been this way since the day she was born. She knows her own mind and doesn't take to anyone changing it. But she is a joy. She is full of life, not afraid of meeting people and trying new things. She is fun to be with and is usually the life of the party. This can get trying at times. Sometimes she just doesn't know what to shut UP! She is 16 and looking forward to getting out of school where she has had some problems with learning. She has a high IQ but a learning disability. She is a hands on learner. She is full of a love for Jesus and is very active in her youth group and is thinking of missionary work. I know what you mean about feeling like a failure. I've felt that way many times these last 16 years. So hang in there with your daughter. She is a blessing I'm sure. You may not see it everyday but it is there. As mother's is may drive us crazy but I think for our daughter's it will be a benefit. My prayers are with you.

Lady Laurie said...

It sounds like you had a lovely time. Sometimes I believe the library was the greatest invention ever!