Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Description of Home

"The Parkin home was a resplendent, red-block Victorian mansion with ornate cream-and-raspberry wood trim and dark green shingles. On the west side of the home, a rounded bay window supported a second-story veranda balcony that overlooked the front yard. The balcony, like the main floor porch, ran the length of the exterior upheld by large ornately lathed beams and a decorative, gold-leafed frieze. The wood was freshly painted and well kept. A sturdy brick chimney rose from the center of the home amid wood and wrought-iron spires that shot up decourously. Intricate latticework gingerbreaded the base of the house, hidden here and there by neatly trimmed evergreen shrubs. A cobblestone driveway would up the front of the home, encircling a black marble fountain that lay iced over and surrounded by a snow-covered retaining wall."
~The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans

4 comments:

Sharon Kay said...

Oh how I love the look of this home and yard. It looks like a post card and I like your description of the home.

Cay G. said...

My dream home... :)

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

Kinda reminds me of my dream home :)

Heidi said...

Tracy ~ I love this book. Thanks for reminding me of it. I may get it down from my shelves and read it over the holidays. I received it as a gift from my favorite aunt years ago and sat by the woodstove crying over its wonderful story.